Any one else cringing at the thought of springing forward? Losing an hour of sleep brings tears to my eyes!
Seriously, I am completely nonfunctional without a good night’s sleep. I used to work the night shift at a financial company – helping our coworkers over in Asia with their transactions. Back then I had babies, so double sleep deprived. On the last shift of the week I would come home from a twelve hour overnight, then stay up all the next day taking care of the kids. Funny thing was, by the time the next night rolled around (after being up over 24 hours) I would get a second wind and be up extra late that night!
When up late at night- whether working or watching the late late show, snacks are sure to be needed 🙂
Crunchy, crusty baguette slices piled high with creamy seasoned ricotta cheese – yes please! Although crostini usually hangs out in the appetizer section, we snacked on these for lunch one day. I have to admit I’m addicted to all things bread related. Rarely soft, mostly toasted – I like to top it with any and all things I can find in the refrigerator!
Another thing to love about crostini is how they feed a crowd – you can easily get a few dozen slices out of a baguette. The sturdy slices make perfect finger food. Ricotta cheese is delicious just eaten with a spoon, but here it is tosses with some lemon zest, black pepper, sea salt and parsley. Simple, classic ingredients for the win!
- 1 Medium Baguette
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- ¼ Teaspoon Fresh Grated Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Italian Parsley
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers, Sliced
- Extra Salt and Pepper to Season
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the baguette into ¼ inch thick slices. Lay slices out in a single layer on a baking sheet and brush slices with olive oil. Sprinkle the slices lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown at the edges.
- Add the ricotta, lemon zest, salt, pepper and parsley to a medium bowl and stir together.
- Top each crostini with a spoonful of ricotta and a slice of roasted red pepper.
- Serve immediately.