A dark chocolate cookie crust filled with whipped mascarpone and topped with raspberries. This tart will win hearts for Valentine’s Day!
Do you do anything special for Valentine’s Day? We really don’t go like to go crazy for this “holiday”, our life is crazy enough 🙂 Although you won’t find us in a restaurant, maybe I’ll make dessert. Sometimes I’ll make a heart shaped breakfast for the kids, or some heart shaped cookies. So creative I know!
Stepping away from the hearts this year, but I definitely think that for Valentine’s Day chocolate is a must! That’s why I started this tart with a dark chocolate cookie crust. The rich chocolate flavor goes perfectly well with the smooth creamy whipped mascarpone filling. Mascarpone cheese is a little indulgent (and challenging to spell!) but what better excuse than love to bake with the best ingredients.
A few simple raspberries are the topping. I just love the gorgeous color they gave this tart. I went with a super simple diagonal placement zig-zag type pattern, but feel free to be creative. If you don’t have a rectangular tart pan, this recipe will also work in an 8″ tart pan.
- ½ Cup (3.5 Ounces) Sugar
- ¾ Cup (3 Ounces) White Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 8 Tablespoons (4 Ounces) Unsalted Butter, Softened
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Mascarpone Cheese, Softened
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ¾ Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Raspberries for Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the mixer bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the softened butter and vanilla extract, mix until it starts to come together in moist clumps. Transfer the dough to a 13¾ x 4½ rectangular tart pan with removable bottom. (An 8" circular tart pan would also work). Press the dough down onto the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan.
- Prick the bottom of the dough a few times with the tines of a fork, this will help it not bubble up while baking. Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet and then place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the dough looks pale on top. Remove from oven and place tart pan on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Beat with the whisk attachment on a hand held mixer until stiff peaks form. This can also be done in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Scoop the filling into the cooled cookie crust and spread with an offset spatula. Top with fresh raspberries.