We don’t eat fish as often as I like, it makes it into the budget only about twice a month. The best deals are always at Whole Foods, and there is the added bonus of their commitment to sustainability. To stretch our seafood budget, I love thin white fillets such as sole. This recipe was only about 1.25lbs, and we had 8 fillets.
- 2 Cups of Organic Baby Spinach
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 3/4 cups of Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Oz Organic Cream Cheese
- 2-4 Tbls Butter or Olive Oil
- 6-8 Sole Fillets
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Saute Garlic and Onions in Oil/Butter.
Saute until spinach wilts. Add bread crumbs.
Add cream cheese, if it is very cold it may take a minute to mix in. If stuffing seems dry, add an extra tablespoon of butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
Do not eat the stuffing now. If you do you will be stuck with plain sole rolls for dinner, and it will not be the same at all. Place a bit of stuffing in the middle of each fillet. Make sure to salt and pepper the fillets. Roll the fillet over the stuffing.
Top each roll with a dot of butter. Top with a scattering of bread crumbs is you would like them to be prettier when they are done (I forgot). Bake at 400 ° for approximately 15-20 minutes or until fish is flaky.
Serve with desired sides/starches. We had ours over a mushroom almond rice pilaf.
Tips and Substitutions:
- Spinach is just a starting point, try roasted peppers, mushrooms, nuts, almost anything!
- Other cheese can be used instead of cream cheese. We were a bit skeptical of cream cheese and fish initially, but it was really delicious.
- Fillets could be stuffed ahead and refrigerated until needed.
This recipe is a part of Real Food Wednesday.