How many different ways can you serve oats for breakfast? It’s a great question, and I’m determined to figure it out. They are cheap, healthy and most importantly delicious.
My husband Greg has minimal patience for making breakfast in the morning. As a high school teacher he gets up and out a lot earlier than me, so he is on his own for food. 😉 Lately he’s been pouring hot water over the rolled oats, without even grinding them, and letting them sit for a few minutes to soften. #laziestoatmealever It’s actually not half bad, but you do have to wait for the kettle to boil, so that’s out.
What would be even better is if we didn’t have to do anything in the morning…
So, stir in some milk, a pinch of sugar and vanilla into the oats. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator and then – soft fluffy oats appear. The lightly sweetened overnight oats go perfectly with some dark chocolate chunks and natural shredded coconut. Of course, with something like this sweetness can be easily adjusted to taste.
This breakfast is perfect for weekday mornings, when we are all in a rush to get started with our days!
- 1 and ½ Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 and ½ Cups Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Shredded Coconut
- 2 Tablespoons Chocolate Chunks
- Divide the oats between two bowls (3/4 Cups Each). Top with 1 teaspoon sugar each.
- Add the vanilla extract to the milk. Pour ½ the milk over each bowl.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning top each bowl with 1 tablespoon chocolate chunks and coconut.