Tender pastry made with Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, then filled with raspberry jam and chocolate.
So this week I made cupcakes with my 5 year old. They were carefully chosen from his very own Elmo cookbook. He has gone through each page and laboriously marked every recipe he wants to make with a piece of paper. Which was all of them 🙂 It may take us a while.
The cupcakes we made were called “surprise cupcakes”. The surprise was raspberry jam inside the chocolate cupcakes. He insisted on making the cupcakes secretly. He was so very excited to “surprise” everyone when they bit into the cupcake! Using the raspberry and chocolate together made me think of all the wonderful things I could bake with these flavors.
These pastries are very similar to rugelach, except in place of cream cheese I used Greek yogurt. Mainly because I didn’t have any cream cheese available. I’m all about baking with what you have on hand! After I played with the amount of Greek yogurt a bit, I had a beautiful pastry that really mimicked the cream cheese version.
To make the pastry, it is rolled into a circle. Spread on the raspberry jam and some chopped chocolate and cut the circle into 12 equal triangle slices, much like a pizza. The triangles are rolled from the large end to the tip. Some of the jam inevitably leaks out during the cooking, but that is totally o.k.
In the warm weather I would recommend refrigerating the pastries, otherwise they should keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Who knew an Elmo cookbook could be so inspiring?
- 8 Tablespoons (4 Ounces) Unsalted Butter, Softened
- ½ Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 and ⅓ Cups (6 Ounces) White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 and ⅓ Cups (6 Ounces) White Flour
- ½ Cup Raspberry Jam
- ½ Cup Chopped Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Large Egg
- Sugar for Topping
- Cream together the butter and sugar, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl in the middle. Add in the greek yogurt and beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Mix in the flours and salt just until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a circle and wrap tightly in saran wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out into a 12 inch circle. Spread the jam on the dough leaving ½ inch rim. Sprinkle the chocolate on top of the jam. Cut the dough into 12 equal size triangles, like a pizza. Roll the pieces of dough from the wider end down to the points. Transfer the pastries to the prepared cookie sheet.
- If the dough is soft at this point, refrigerate the pastries for 15-30 minutes.
- Beat the egg with a tablespoon of water.
- Brush the pastries with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pastries immediately to a cooling rack.