Carrot muffins made with whole wheat and yogurt – a great breakfast or snack you can eat on the run!
Today I have for you a hearty, healthier breakfast choice. These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, yogurt and two full cups of carrots! Cinnamon and nutmeg add another layer of flavor. Portable and pack-able, stash a few in your lunchbox for an afternoon snack too.
We’ve barely polished off the Valentine’s candy, and it’s time to turn our attention to an early Easter. I was in Walgreens today and one side of the center aisle was filled with clearance Valentine’s candy and the other full priced Easter versions (of the same candy!). So crazy.
I won’t complain though, because it means time for all things carrot! Carrot cake, carrot cake scones and now carrot muffins. Carrots may be a veggie, but they add moisture and sweetness to baked goods. Definitely a fun way to squeeze in extra servings. I just love the orange color too 🙂
The muffins can be frozen, placed inside an airtight ziploc bag. If any make it that far!
- 1 and ¾ Cups (8 Ounces) White Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup (3.5 Ounces) Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 and ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Several Gratings of Fresh Nutmeg
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Melted Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Yogurt
- 2 Cups Finely Shredded Carrots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and yogurt until smooth. Add the egg mixture and oil and stir until just combined. Gently stir in the carrots. Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins to a cooling rack.