These adorable mini trifles are perfect for your spring celebrations! Moist bits of carrot cake (made with whole wheat!) are layered with a cream cheese frosting that’s been lightened up with whipped cream!
A traditional Easter dessert without all the fuss! I love carrot cake, but sometimes I don’t feel like making a whole frosted layer cake. This easy carrot cake is baked up, then instead of worrying if your layers are neat and even, just cut the cake up to layer with the frosting. Easy Peasy.
Besides, I’ll be busy dealing with other things like the Easter bread 😉
I think it’s interesting how the holidays are the busiest times, yet that’s usually when we make the most complicated food?
I like my carrot cake simple and unadorned. You won’t find any coconut, raisins or pineapple hanging out here. I do love nuts, but even those I add after to the trifle, not mixed into the cake.
Let me tell you how easy this is! I baked up a carrot cake (using whole wheat pastry flour) in a square pan. When it was cool, I cut out circular pieces that would fit into my glasses. Made up a cream cheese frosting, which I then lightened up with whipped cream, and layered cake, frosting and walnuts into the little serving glasses.
Want it even easier than that? Just chop the cake up and layer the whole thing into one big trifle dish!
- 3 Cups Shredded Carrots
- 1¼ Cup Melted Butter or Vegetable Oil
- 1½ Cup Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2¼ Cups White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ⅛ Teaspoon (pinch) of Nutmeg
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 4 Ounces Butter, Softened
- 3½ Cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1-3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Toasted Walnuts, Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and Flour a 9x13 inch square pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs and vegetable oil, then stir in the carrots. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean..
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to finish cooling.
- Beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in confectioners sugar and 1 Tablespoon milk and continue to mix until combined. Adjust the consistency of the frosting with additional milk if needed.
- In a separate bowl beat the whipping cream until soft peaks are formed. Take ⅓ of the whipped cream and mix it into the frosting to lighten it. Gently fold the remaining ⅔ whipped cream (1/3 at a time) into the frosting.
- Cut the carrot cake into pieces (for mini- make sure they will fit into your glass easily). Layer the cake, frosting and walnuts into the serving dishes. Refrigerate until serving.
Trifle can be assembled up to 24 hours ahead.
Check out where I share my posts on the Link Party Page.
Never miss a yummy recipe!