Crispy apples, salty feta, and crunchy almonds atop a bed of baby greens.
As we say goodbye to September that means it’s time for another Mystery Dish. This month’s host is Zainab over at Blahnik Baker. She gave us a great list including: Sesame seeds, Green chiles, Green tea or matcha powder, Cardamom, Ginger, Feta cheese, Lamb, Pinto beans, White wine, Prickly pear cactus, and Apples.
I have to say this month was probably the biggest challenge I’ve had to date- which I loved. Thanks for a great list Zainab!
Since I still had those
20, 15,10 pounds of apples I mentioned when sharing apple granola Belgian waffles, apples of course made the cut. As in our now monthly tradition, I read the ingredient list and let the family shout out ideas (you didn’t think I came up with all the recipes alone?). Normally I don’t mix sweet and savory, but my husband was so enthusiastic about apples in a salad that he convinced me to give it a try.
Every really good salad has to include some kind of nuts or cheese, in my humble opinion. Almonds and feta round out the dish, and make it a very filling lunch or side dish. A sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds on top not only adds an extra layer of crunch, but they are also little nutritional powerhouses. A tangy lemon vinaigrette works beautifully with all the other flavors.
Let’s discuss those sesame seeds for a second. I toasted them for this dish to help bring out a deeper level of flavor. If you are not familiar with toasting seeds/nuts I have to impart a piece of advice. They turn from blonde to burnt in about 1/2 a second. I’m not kidding when I urge you to stay next to that pan! It may look as if they have a long time left, but that’s just how they get you.
The sesame seeds.
I hope by sharing this with you all, I will learn it myself 😉
- Green Chile Chicken Soup – Chez CateyLou
- Crockpot Chicken Chilli Stew – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Spiced Apple Crisp – I Want Crazy
- Kale Salad with Sesame-Lime Dressing – The Pajama Chef
- Spiced Mini Skillet Apple Crisp – Culinary Couture
- Pan Seared Pork Chops with Spicy Apple Chutney – Flavor the Moments
- Matcha Swirl Cheesecake – Baking a Moment
- Green Chile Cheese Pinwheels – I Dig Pinterest.
- Baked Apple Donuts with Cardamom Cream Cheese Glaze – Joyful Healthy Easy
- Vegan Gluten-Free Ginger Walnut Apple Pie Bars – The Sweet-Tooth Life
- Apple Feta Salad with Toasted Sesame Seeds – The Well Floured Kitchen
- Apple Cardamon Crisp – Blahnik Baker
Check out where I share my posts on the Link Party Page.
Never miss a yummy recipe!