Another month has passed and it’s time for Mystery Dish! This month’s host was Sarah at The Pajama Chef. She put together an great list of items including: coffee, sour cream, farro, almonds, cherries, watermelon, cantaloupe, jicama, cucumber, tomatoes, flavored oils, herbs, cornmeal and hot peppers. Since cherries are one of the few fruits I love, and they are only in season for approximately 12 seconds each year, I knew they had to be in my recipe. Visions of pastry danced in my head.
When served up a fruit pie, I tend to eat all the crust and leave the fruit on my plate. I can truly embrace a “pie” with a higher crust to filling ratio. How I love the galette (French), also sometimes known as a crostata (Italian). Regardless of the origins, who doesn’t love more buttery flaky crust?
We had to use at least 3 ingredients in our mystery dish, so I decided to add some almonds and sour cream into my pie crust. Sour cream made a really rich tender pastry, it reminded me a lot of rugelach dough. The almonds lent just the slightest hint of texture which contrasted well with the cherry filling.
I’m happy to say I ate up all of the cherry filling. The cherries really kept their texture and the galettes were bursting with summer flavor. By using in season fruit, I was able to just use a small amount of sugar to lightly sweeten the filling. A bit of lemon added a new dimension of flavor to cut through the sweet.
Oh and did I mention the crust has whole wheat flour?
Check out the delicious creations of the other Mystery Dish bloggers! You can see that I wasn’t alone with cherry love!
- Watermelon Salsa – The Pajama Chef
- Farro Salad – Chez CateyLou
- Cherry Almond Coffee Cake – Two Happy Bellies
- Watermelon Fruit Salad with Mint Lime Dressing – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Toasted Almond Caramel Mocha Gelato – Culinary Couture Blog
- Cherry Galettes with Almond Sour Cream Crust – The Well Floured Kitchen
- Cherry Watermelon Granita – Joyful Healthy Eats
- Cherry Almond Mocha Smoothie – Baking a Moment
- Pepperoni Pasta Salad – I Want Crazy
- Almond Cherry Bars – I Dig Pinterest
- Cucumber Salsa – Weary Chef
- Cherry Almond Popsicles – Blahnik Baker
Past Mystery Dish Challenges:
Check out where I share my posts on the Link Party Page.
Never miss a yummy recipe!