For my first recipe to share I decided on Granola. This is an everyday staple in our house, I make a batch at least once a week. We use it as cereal or a yogurt topper. It also makes an excellent trail mix. This is a kid friendly recipe to make, it really can’t be messed up by little hands “helping”. When I look at the prices of granola at the grocery store, ouch! This is a frugal, whole food version that tastes so much better fresh from your oven.
- 4.5 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
Mix dry ingredients.
Add in wet ingredients.
Spread on baking sheet.
Bake at 300° for about 45 minutes or until desired level of darkness.
Burn fingers while nibbling hot granola (didn’t you read the instructions to cool?).
Stores for weeks.
I’ve never actually had any last that long.
Tips and Substitutions:
- Add in any chopped nuts you like.
- The coconut is optional.
- For “clumpier” granola, use more honey.
- Quick oats or a combination can be used.
- Dried Fruit or chocolate chips can be added after baking.
- Ground Flax seed can be added in small amounts.